Tuesday 29 March 2011

Saatchi Gallery

1. The Saatchi gallery was definitely the most accessible museum yet in terms of viewing all angles of the objects.  I feel this is necessary for this type of gallery because of the uniqueness of the objects.  A lot of them are not merely 2 dimensional works of art, but are 3 dimensional objects that require multiple views in order to be fully appreciated.  There was also space provided for each individual painting which was beneficial to viewing as well.  This was definitely different from the crowded walls or large, ornate frames of previous museums.

2. The Saatchi gallery had an interesting approach to captioning their work.  Where most museums would provide a little information about the artist and the meaning of the work, this gallery merely provided a small label for the piece.  The tour guide explained to us that this is because the gallery wants viewers to interpret the works for themselves, and I believe with the type of artwork they display, this is a very efficient method.  However, I really enjoyed hearing about how the artwork was obtained and placed in the gallery, and I think this could make a great addition to the small labels placed with each work of art.  Because the artwork is so unique, I feel it would be interesting to viewers to know who created it and how Mr. Saatchi came up on it.

3. I really enjoyed the modern, creative works of art this gallery contained.  I felt the art was much deeper and more meaningful than some works of art I saw in other museums (though I know this feeling is totally subjective).  I felt there was a real presence behind the works, and they were very thought provoking.  Though the tour guide explained some of the works to us, I was able to look at a few on my own and come to my own conclusions as to what the artist was trying to get at the work of art; I am not always able to do this when observing pieces of modern art.  I truly enjoyed Mr. Saatchi's collection and I would love to have a chance to meet him and try to understand why he picks the pieces he does.

No comments:

Post a Comment